As an artist, I've come to notice that everybody always wants to know your story. They want to know why you do what you do what you do or live your life the way you live it. As a private person, I was offended and felt like it was no ones business but my own. Now I realize that people want to understand you, so they can understand your art. With that being said, I will open up for the first time here.
My name is Monique Ramsey and I'm 31. I grew up on a cattle ranch just outside of El Paso, TX with my parents and little brother. During the summer months, we visited my Pastor grandpa and First Lady grandma. It was all Vacation Bible Study and at home Bible study. One summer, I went into the bedroom with my grandma and in my whiny, six year old voice, I said, " I'm B-O-R-E-D-D-D!!!" and threw myself dramatically on her bed. Her response..."Read the Bible". I immediately sat up, looked at her like she was crazy, then asked, "What are you doing?!" That's the day I learned to crochet. I've loved it ever since.
Even though my parents are big believers in "You get what you work for", I felt like I had everything I needed and wanted. A prime example of this, is when I was palling around with my dad, as usual, to get supplies to repair one of our saddles. While he talked to the clerk, I walked around the tiny store and found two of the neatest bead books. I had my $5 allowance in my pocket, walked up to my dad, and asked him if I had enough money to buy them. He looked at the books and said, "Yes, but you need some more supplies". He picked up a loom, needles, thread, a mat, and every color of seed beads they had. I looked at him sad, as he placed everything on the counter, and said, "I don't think I have enough money", but he said I had plenty. The clerk, who heard everything, rung up the items, and said the total was $5. I happily handed her my $5, collected my bag of goodies, headed home, and taught myself to do traditional Native American seed beading. Now, as an adult, I realized I probably spent $50 and my supportive dad slipped the clears the rest of the money when I wasn't looking...
Throughout my childhood, my parents supported my love of the arts. Thankfully, I grew up humbled and not really wanting a lot of material items, because it has saved me from being miserable as a poor adult.
After graduating high school with honors, I put myself through college at NMSU with financial aid and working. I received a BFA in Studio Arts, focusing on jewelry, printmaking, & ceramics I'm May 2005. Over the next eight years, I accomplished two cheating husbands after a short dating time (yeah, not very bright), a Masters in Curriculum Instructions in Secondary Math and Special Education, a 3 lb tumor that resulted in a hysterectomy, not being able to work for a year due to said tumor and surgery, and moving back home. This was not the path I wanted. I wanted to be a work at home mother and wife, but I guess God had other plans for me.
After being cleared by the Dr, I found two jobs and got busy getting my life back on track. I needed my own personal space, so I began downsizing my life, bought a fifth wheel, moved in it with my two cats, and started doing my arts and crafts again. Day by day, I have begun to improve my self esteem, found my calm, and learn to depend on no one.
This blog will be used to share my art, share my experiences, and help others figure out their worth and their calm. With that being said, Welcome.
My name is Monique Ramsey and I'm 31. I grew up on a cattle ranch just outside of El Paso, TX with my parents and little brother. During the summer months, we visited my Pastor grandpa and First Lady grandma. It was all Vacation Bible Study and at home Bible study. One summer, I went into the bedroom with my grandma and in my whiny, six year old voice, I said, " I'm B-O-R-E-D-D-D!!!" and threw myself dramatically on her bed. Her response..."Read the Bible". I immediately sat up, looked at her like she was crazy, then asked, "What are you doing?!" That's the day I learned to crochet. I've loved it ever since.
Even though my parents are big believers in "You get what you work for", I felt like I had everything I needed and wanted. A prime example of this, is when I was palling around with my dad, as usual, to get supplies to repair one of our saddles. While he talked to the clerk, I walked around the tiny store and found two of the neatest bead books. I had my $5 allowance in my pocket, walked up to my dad, and asked him if I had enough money to buy them. He looked at the books and said, "Yes, but you need some more supplies". He picked up a loom, needles, thread, a mat, and every color of seed beads they had. I looked at him sad, as he placed everything on the counter, and said, "I don't think I have enough money", but he said I had plenty. The clerk, who heard everything, rung up the items, and said the total was $5. I happily handed her my $5, collected my bag of goodies, headed home, and taught myself to do traditional Native American seed beading. Now, as an adult, I realized I probably spent $50 and my supportive dad slipped the clears the rest of the money when I wasn't looking...
Throughout my childhood, my parents supported my love of the arts. Thankfully, I grew up humbled and not really wanting a lot of material items, because it has saved me from being miserable as a poor adult.
After graduating high school with honors, I put myself through college at NMSU with financial aid and working. I received a BFA in Studio Arts, focusing on jewelry, printmaking, & ceramics I'm May 2005. Over the next eight years, I accomplished two cheating husbands after a short dating time (yeah, not very bright), a Masters in Curriculum Instructions in Secondary Math and Special Education, a 3 lb tumor that resulted in a hysterectomy, not being able to work for a year due to said tumor and surgery, and moving back home. This was not the path I wanted. I wanted to be a work at home mother and wife, but I guess God had other plans for me.
After being cleared by the Dr, I found two jobs and got busy getting my life back on track. I needed my own personal space, so I began downsizing my life, bought a fifth wheel, moved in it with my two cats, and started doing my arts and crafts again. Day by day, I have begun to improve my self esteem, found my calm, and learn to depend on no one.
This blog will be used to share my art, share my experiences, and help others figure out their worth and their calm. With that being said, Welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment